Thursday, September 25, 2008

Vogue going down? Anna out? NO WAY!!


My blackberry has been buzzing for days with bits and pieces of information regarding Vogue and it's Editor-In-Chief; Anna Wintour.

First, I heard about a New York Post report which said that S.I. Newhouse (CEO of Advance Publications, which owns CondeNast and Vogue) was not very happy that the October issue of the American ELLE has 66 more advertisements than the American Vogue. While I understand why Newhouse would be upset, my take on the matter is slightly different.

Yes, it is rare that any other fashion magazine will have more advertisements than American Vogue; however I must point out that the ELLE reader is much more frugule than the Vogue reader. Why is this important? It is important because this allows ELLE to open it's pages to more mid to low priced vendors than Vogue. So, while ELLE can go after advertisements for let's say "Century 21"; Vogue can not. Therefore I really don't think it's that big a deal. All in all, ELLE has a larger target market than VOGUE; so realisitcally they should probably have more advertisements. No?


Moving right along, get this; at the Russian GQ party earlier this week, the event's announcer introduced Russian Vogue's Editor-In-Chief Aliona Doletskaya as "The NEXT Editor-In-Chief of AMERICAN Vogue" Was this a clue that Anna is headed out? I doubt it. I don't believe the announcer wanted to be taken so literally. My thoughts are he believes that Aliona is an extremely talented E.I.C. who has the talent to oversee the "Fashion Bible" known as American Vogue. So he was sort of giving her a facetious form of praise. Again, I don't think this is something we should be concerned about.


No comments:

Post a Comment